With the leading bookmakers all keen to get your business, the 150th Open Championship at St Andrews makes for an exciting punting proposition this week. With a record-breaking 12 places each way at 1/5 odds available for the first time ever with both Betfair Sportsbook and Paddy Power, finding a value outsider is a tactic that’s potentially packed full of profit this week.
Some players simply can’t handle links-style golf where the ability to grind in bad weather, or score in calm conditions, is paramount. In reality this is probably the most likely of all Majors to produce a long-priced, even 3-figure winner, as per Louis Oosthuizen in 2010, Darren Clarke here in 2011 and Zach Johnson in 2015. The last few years have produced the following outsiders, each of whom finished in the top 7:
- 2021: Dylan Frittelli (275/1 5th); Mackenzie Hughes (350/1 6th).
- 2019: Tony Finau (80/1 3rd); Lee Westwood (110/1 4th); Tyrrell Hatton (90/1 6th); Robert MacIntyre (200/1 6th); Danny Willett (125/1 6th).
- 2018: Xander Schauffele (110/1 2nd); Kevin Kisner (300/1 2nd); Kevin Chappell (250/1, 6th); Eddie Pepperell (175/1 6th).
- 2017: Hao-tong Li (300/1 3rd).
- 2016: J.B. Holmes (200/1 3rd), Steve Stricker (250/1 4th), Tyrrell Hatton (175/1 5th)
- 2015: Zach Johnson (110/1 Winner); Marc Leishman (250/1 2nd); Danny Willet (125/1 6th); Jordan Niebrugge (1000/1 6th).
- 2014: Marc Leishman (150/1 5th); Edoardo Molinari (200/1 7th).
- 2013: Hideki Matsuyama (250/1 6th).
- 2012: Brandt Snedeker (175/1 3rd).
- 2011: Darren Clarke (200/1 – Winner); Thomas Bjorn (200/1); Chad Campbell (250/1); Anthony Kim (175/1) – all finished 5th.
- 2010: Louis Oosthuizen (250/1 – Winner); Henrik Stenson (100/1 3rd); Nick Watney (125/1) & Robert Rock (300/1) – both finished 7th.
- 2009: Stewart Cink (175/1 – Winner); Tom Watson (750/1 2nd); Chris Wood (500/1 3rd).
All-Time Record 12 Places Each-Way at 1/5 Odds Terms at the 2022 Open Championship with Betfair Sportsbook
Betfair Sportsbook at the 2022 Open Championship are offering an all-time record 12 places each-way at 1/5 odds. It’s a great time to join them as they have just launched a brand new, Bet £10, Get £30 of Free Bets Sign-Up Offer for new customers 18+, which is Bet €10, Get €30 of Free Bets for those in the Republic of Ireland.