With the leading bookmakers all keen to get your business, the 2021 Open Championship at Royal St Georges makes for an exciting punting proposition this week.
With a record-breaking 12 places each way available for the first time ever with both Boylesports and Paddy Power, and the forecast looking decidedly gnarly, finding a value outsider is a tactic that’s potentially packed full of profit this week.
With northerly and north-easterly winds of anything up to 25-30 mph forecast across the opening 3 days, expect a very tough test this week. Some players simply can’t handle links-style golf where the ability to grind is paramount.
In reality this is probably the most likely of all Majors to produce a long-priced, even 3-figure winner, as per Louis Oosthuizen in 2010, Darren Clarke here in 2011 and Zach Johnson in 2015.
The last few years have produced the following outsiders, each of whom finished in the top 7:
- 2019: Tony Finau (80/1 3rd); Lee Westwood (110/1 4th); Tyrrell Hatton (90/1 6th); Robert MacIntyre (200/1 6th); Danny Willett (125/1 6th); Patrick Reed (90/1 10th).
- 2018: Xander Schauffele (110/1 2nd); Kevin Kisner (300/1 2nd); Kevin Chappell (250/1, 6th); Eddie Pepperell (175/1 6th).
- 2017: Hao-tong Li (300/1 3rd).
- 2016: J.B. Holmes (200/1 3rd), Steve Stricker (250/1 4th), Tyrrell Hatton (175/1 5th)
- 2015: Zach Johnson (110/1 Winner); Marc Leishman (250/1 2nd); Danny Willet (125/1 6th); Jordan Niebrugge (1000/1 6th).
- 2014: Marc Leishman (150/1 5th); Edoardo Molinari (200/1 7th).
- 2013: Hideki Matsuyama (250/1 6th).
- 2012: Brandt Snedeker (175/1 3rd).
- 2011: Darren Clarke (200/1 – Winner); Thomas Bjorn (200/1); Chad Campbell (250/1); Anthony Kim (175/1) – all finished 5th.
- 2010: Louis Oosthuizen (250/1 – Winner); Henrik Stenson (100/1 3rd); Nick Watney (125/1) & Robert Rock (300/1) – both finished 7th.
- 2009: Stewart Cink (175/1 – Winner); Tom Watson (750/1 2nd); Chris Wood (500/1 3rd).
12 Places Each-Way at the 2021 Open Championship with Boylesports
From an additional places offered on golf perspective, Boylesports are the Number 1 bookmaker in 2021 by a country mile – see our analysis available here – and have launched a never seen before, record-breaking 12 places each-way 1/6 odds proposition for The Open.
If you haven’t already got a Boylesports account then new UK customers, 18+, signing-up via Golf Betting System, can access a generous Bet £10, Get £30 of Free Bets Sign-up Offer. There’s also a strong specific Ireland offer – see below: